Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Task 17: Google Maps and Google Docs

As a dedicated public transport user, I use Google Maps semi-regularly to find my way around and to plan my route before I head out to a new place. I tend to sort out my own plan for getting somewhere though, rather than relying on this program to figure it out for me. I have a map photocopied from a referdex which I carry all the time, just in case I need to start walking. You never know. I prefer this to being reliant on a mobile phone or laptop for Google Maps.

I checked out Google Maps (along with Street View) when it was first released and did the obligatory search of my house and addresses of family and friends. Satisfying on a vaguely stalkerish level. I feel sorry for people caught out and about when the Google van went by.

In regards to Google Docs, I'm not too excited. I prefer to have control of my documents and I think it'd take me quite some time to build up trust in an online based system. If I want to use it at work or share with someone, I just email it or save it to a USB. The love letter video on the site was very cute though and interesting to see multiple editors at the same time. I've recently used the Etherpad program in a group work assignment, which seems very similar. I was initially dubious but did start chatting more towards the end. Breaking out of those ol' comfort zones.

No comments:

Post a Comment